Assignment: Bibliographic Instruction
Fourteen review types are presented together with their associated methodologies, an accompanying description, analysis of their perceived strengths and weaknesses and a reference to a selected example.
• The Search, AppraisaL, Synthesis and Analysis (SALSA) framework can help library and information science (LIS) workers to identify the inputs and processes, strengths and deficiencies, which characterize the main phases of each review type.
• This typology provides a valuable resource to inform how LIS workers might approach the appraisal or development of a health information review.
1 McKibbon, K. A. Evidence-based practice. Bulletin of the Medical Library Association 1998, 86, 396–401.
2 Mulrow, C. D. The medical review article: state of the science. Annals of Internal Medicine 1987: 106, 485–8.
3 Cochrane, A. L. 1931–71: a critical review, with particular reference to the medical profession. In: Teeling-Smith, G. & Wells, N. (eds). Medicines for the Year 2000. London: Office of Health Economics, 1979: 1–11.
4 Lind, J. A Treatise of the Scurvy. In three parts, containing an inquiry into the nature, causes and cure, of that disease. Together with a critical and chronological view of what has been published on the subject. 1753a. Available from: http://www.jameslindlibrary.org/trial_records/ 17th_18th_Century/lind/lind-experiment.pdf (accessed 10 March 2009).
5 Lind, J. A Treatise of the Scurvy. In three parts, containing an inquiry into the nature, causes and cure, of that disease. Together with a critical and chronological view of what has been published on the subject. 1753b. Available from: http://www.jameslindlibrary.org/trial_records/ 17th_18th_Century/lind/lind-experiment.pdf (accessed 10 March 2009).
6 Chalmers, I., Hedges, L. V. & Cooper, H. A brief history of research synthesis. Evaluation and the Health Professions 2002, 25, 12–37.
A typology of reviews, Maria J. Grant & Andrew Booth
© 2009 The authors Journal compilation © 2009 Health Libraries Group. Health Information and Libraries Journal, 26, pp.91–108
7 Alonso, P. G. Conservation and circulation in map libraries: a brief review. Geography and Map Division Bulletin 1968: 74, 15–8.
8 Skinner, R. E. & Marcotte, J. M. Bibliographic instruction in the health sciences: an historical review. Medical Reference Services Quarterly 1982, 1, 53–76.
9 Booth, A. Systematic reviews of health information services and systems. Health Information and Libraries Journal 2001, 18, 60–3.
10 Koufogiannakis, D. & Crumley, E. Research in librarianship: issues to consider. Library Hi Tech 2006, 24, 324–40.
11 Oxford English Dictionary. Oxford English Dictionary. 2008. Available from: http://dictionary.oed.com/ (accessed 4 March 2009).
12 Ankem, K. Evaluation of method in systematic reviews and meta-analyses published in LIS. Library and Information Research 2008, 32, 91–104.
13 Walton, G. Health Information and Libraries Journal: Strategy for 2007–2010. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2006.
14 Davies, K. The information-seeking behaviour of doctors: a review of the evidence. Health Information and Libraries Journal 2007, 24, 78–94.
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER INFORMATION" section and click “PRICE CALCULATION” at the bottom to calculate your order price.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
Need help with this assignment?
Discount Code: SAVE25